Globe Theatre

Globe Theatre

Sunday 9 March 2014

Jersey Boys - Prince Edward Theatre

Jersey Boys poster with the 'boys' in their red jackets
I wanted to see this after seeing excerpts from it at West End Live many moons ago. I didn't know much about the Four Seasons at all, other than that their heyday was in the 1960s, one of them had a very high voice and I liked a few of their songs. I knew the show was highly acclaimed, so I thought it would be enjoyable even if I wasn't a proper fan of the band.

However...now I've seen it, I do think you have to be fan to really enjoy it. I enjoyed it, but not massively. I probably enjoyed the meal out beforehand at Byron a little more. Byron is a member of the Sustainable Restaurant Association and its burgers are EXQUISITE. The company was good, too.

Jersey Boys tells the story of the Four Seasons - how they met, how the group was formed, how they got famous, how some of the original members left and were replaced etc. They were all (the original members, anyway) from New Jersey, hence why the show is called 'Jersey Boys'. 

I found it difficult to get into. The characters weren't particularly likeable and I hate the song 'Ces soirées-lâ', which opened the show. I started to enjoy it during the scene when the more erudite potential member of the group, Bobby, was auditioned for the band. He sang a nice song, accompanying himself on the piano, and one by one the other band members joined in, singing and playing instruments. My other favourite bit was the bit I'd seen at West End Live, when they are dressed in the red suits you see in posters, singing 'Sherry', 'Walk Like a Man' and 'Big Girls Don't Cry'. I liked their precise, perfectly synchronised dancing. 

It was fast-moving and some of the character development was thrust upon you rather than shown gradually. I didn't understand why they accused Tommy of not caring about the band and only doing what would benefit him personally, when his debts were revealed. I understand their anger at his having got into so much debt, but thought it was a bit harsh for Frankie to claim that he didn't care about the band at all. 

I found it difficult to sympathise with the 'I'm incredibly rich and famous but I still can't be happy' storyline. I know money isn't the answer to all problems, but it does help. In the end, my favourite character was probably Nick, because of (a) his desire for cleanliness, (b) his quiet demeanour, and (c) his willingness to call it a day when he felt the time was right. I can't say I warmed a great deal to any of them much, though. Sorry, Jersey Boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment