Globe Theatre

Globe Theatre

Friday 9 August 2013

The Cripple of Inishmaan - Noël Coward Theatre

I'd be lying if I claimed that my desire to see this play had nothing to do with the fact that Daniel Radcliffe was in it. I knew next to nothing about The Cripple of Inishmaan before going - other than that it starred Daniel Radcliffe - and was a dark comedy set in Ireland.

It took me a while to get into it as I didn't find it particular funny at first ('Has the egg-man been?' 'He has but he had no eggs.' Sorry, I still don't find it funny). But I was drawn into the story as more characters appeared  - my favourite scenes were those featuring violent, potty-mouthed Helen (Sarah Greene) and her long-suffering brother Bartley (Conor MacNeill) - and one learned more about life on the desolate island of Inishmaan and the mystery surrounding the deaths of Billy's parents.

Yes, Daniel Radcliffe was playing an orphan for the nth time. I thought he was very good as 'Cripple Billy', an intelligent, sensitive young man who was sick of being continually mocked for his physical infirmities; his understated performance certainly evoked my sympathy. I thought his speech was slightly less distinct than that of the other actors, though. I sometimes missed bits of his lines.

I liked the sets. I much prefer detailed sets over minimalist ones. Much of the action took place in the shop belonging to Billy's 'pretend' aunts, which included shelves stocked with produce (mainly tins of peas).

I think I preferred the second half of the play. There were a surprising number of twists and turns plot-wise as many of the characters told lies, sometimes for their own benefit, and sometimes in an attempt to spare others from pain. In the second half especially, the mood kept lurching from hope to despair and back again. Dark, cruel humour isn't usually my thing, but I did find this play funny, probably because it clearly had soul, too. It wasn't cynical; it was very touching. Finally discovering the truth about the demise of Billy's parents - or at least, what appeared to be the truth - was shocking and moving.

Next: Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment