Globe Theatre

Globe Theatre

Monday 23 January 2017

Anything Goes - Upstairs at the Gatehouse

'Lifebelt', or, as Americans apparently say, 'lifebuoy'
This buoyant production cast my cares adrift, becalmed my worries and firmly anchored my mind in the metaphorical harbour of happiness. OK, enough gratuitous nautical terms! This was the first time I'd seen Anything Goes, Cole Porter's 1934 musical set aboard the ocean liner SS American, and Ovation's production did not disappoint.

P.G. Woodhouse was involved in the creation of the story and Anything Goes contains many typical Woodhousian themes, including false identities (both with and without disguises), British aristocracy, romance and, of course, extreme silliness. I enjoyed the exuberantly-delivered songs; I hadn't realised 'Let's Misbehave' was from Anything Goes - it's one of my favourite songs from that era. The main 'powerhouse' songs were the titular 'Anything Goes' and 'Blow, Gabriel, Blow'. The tap dancing that accompanied these numbers was impressive, especially given the confines of Upstairs at the Gatehouse.

I loved Taryn Erickson's performance as Christian evangelical turned nightclub singer Reno Sweeney. I can imagine this character being played in a more cynical way; I liked the fact that she was played here as a thoroughly good-hearted, mischievous, infectiously cheerful person. My favourite scenes were those featuring Reno and stereotypically reserved, fastidious British aristocrat Lord Evelyn Oakleigh, who was amusingly played by Jack Keane. The two were very funny together in their opposites-attracting storyline.

Excellent 1930s costumes - I loved the high-waisted trousers in particular, and Reno and her Angels' nautical inspired get-ups. I'd wear high-waisted trousers almost up to my armpits, if they were available. Especially in winter. The set was also good, as usual, with audience members seated on either side of the 'deck', and a video of the sea projected onto one end of the theatre while the 'ship' was in motion, and a picture of land when it had arrived in Britain towards the end.

photo credit: Alan O'Rourke lifebuoy-ring-buoy-lifering-lifesaver-life-donut-life-preserver-lifebelt-blue via photopin (license)

Next: Cirque du Soleil

No comments:

Post a Comment